Skip to main content

Graphics


Papa, where are you going?? My little girl asks me 
To attend a marriage dear. I told her

It is a Sunday and she expects I will take her to the park like I promised.  I waited for an array of questions from her, and she doesn’t disappoint me.
 "Are we not going to the park today?"
" No dear, I have to go. We will go later."
“Why aren't you taking us? Who is getting married? ”

Rishin uncle is getting married 
"Chathan uncle” she corrected me with enough conviction which made me feel that it was me who made the mistake. She caught hold of that name recently and since then I didn’t hear her calling him anything other than that. But she never calls him Chathan in public; they have made a pact it seems.  She started circling around me doing her tiny little steps.

She doesn’t look surprised by the news; I was practically taken aback when he told me.
It was late last night, he called me and declared.
"I am going to get married"
"Oh really... When tonight??" being little sarcastic.
"Tomorrow”.  
 "Ha Ha Ha"
 "I am not joking"
"What??”
“Yeah” 

I don’t know why his marriage got delayed like this, we raised the topic every now and then and he gets irritated. He had his reasons, building a firm and taking it into glory was his prime concern. 
"Can I come??”  She asks.
 It took me back from my thoughts. I find her eagerly looking at me waiting for a response.
“Don't bring your wife and kid” Rishin had insisted.

"No Aimee, I can’t take you. We will go to the park in the evening. I will bring chocolates when I come back" 
She stood there for a while wearing a sad face then suddenly it had a spark. She saw an opportunity.

"And Ice-cream” She says. 
OK dear. I lifted her and placed a peck on her cheeks.

Lot many memory frames passed before my eyes while I was speeding through the highway. It’s really wonderful where your destiny takes you. His dream of marrying a rich 18 year old Christian girl, whose father owns a rubber estate, is coming true.
I don’t really believe his version of how he met her. 
He says, this is how it happened.  A season, an exam season, it was.
He still got one hurdle to cross: graphics. Owing to the experience of umpteen seasons under his belt, he has become highly proficient in graphics.
Though the exam was in the afternoon session, he reached the exam centre in the morning.  He found a girl sitting alone head buried in her lap crying on the colossal steps leading to the college. Normally he would have let it go, he was never a curious person. 

But may be it was destiny. He sat next to her and gently asked. 
"What happened??"
She didn’t lift her face but went on crying.
He thought about leaving her on her own, he wasn’t curious to know why she was crying (Like I said earlier he was never a curious type) but didn’t like leaving a girl in distress.
Why are you crying? What is it? Tell me.

I didn’t study anything, had fever for last few days. I will certainly fail. 

She couldn’t control her tears.

Normally he would have said "what’s in that, clear it next time"

"When a woman cries, when a woman cries
She can wash your world away
When storms fill her eyes, when storms fill her eyes
You never know just what to say"

He just said “See I can teach you, it is really simple. Please stop crying."

In a matter of few hours he taught her tricks to clear the paper. He wrote the exam, he was confident for the first time that he will clear it and when he got out of the exam hall he saw her rushing to him. He later told me, it was the smile which she gave him then that made him fall for her.  
I never thought he could fall for something other than food. Well what can I say, may be it was destined. It just happened.

Their meetings became frequent. She admired the person who saved her from humiliation and the admiration gave way for love. There was no turning back for their love story. And now they are getting married. I never asked him if she knows about Roger Federer. But I bet she does.

I told Rohan  "This is how Rishin is going to get married.."

"I don't think he is ever going to write graphics, I guess he will probably meet his wife in a restaurant"

"Yeah. But do you really think something could grab his attention from food?"

“Heehehe.. Neh”

We heard Rishin shout across the hall

“Dont I have a say, this is my marriage you are talking about??”

The Reply was unanimous.

Neh...


Then we went on making plans for his marriage for the rest of the night.


PS: My roommate Rishin always dreamed of marrying an 18 year old girl when he turns 40. The girl should meet certain criteria to be considered worthy. She should be from Kottayam.  Her father should own a rubber estate. Even if she fails to meet the above conditions she should be a Roger Federer follower. 


Special thanks to Rohan

Comments

  1. narrator told about rishin's life. am interested to know the name of narrator's wife. would u reply :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. sambhavam spaaraayittundu... oru resamulla nunakkatha pole...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Narrator if u r not planning to answer my que. let rishin to take this chance. he s eagerly waiting. i would like to hear a climax for the story :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Chatha I bet you want to write a blog as well :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good story dude.. oralpam inception vanno ennoru samshayam illathilla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nirmal, Ni chathane kothipikalle.... Paavam rishin... Rishin, ethinu pakaram veetanayi, oru full Shawai, nirmal aanennu karuthi adikunathayirikkum.. athum nirmal inte chilavil..

    ReplyDelete
  8. @vipin avan athu allathe thanne kazhikkunnundallo:D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words

Words are echoing in my mind. There is no coherent thought in it. They just jump around in an urge to get out.  Me first me first, they say. They don't realise they aren't ready to walk on their own. They have to stand behind an idea and grow. Or they are mere words without a soul. Few are bit more wiser than the rest. They group with their half brothers and create unrest, even getting heard at times. They wander aimlessly for a while, gliding along any path they see. For they don't have a destination in their mind and are lost without doubt The newbies see their brothers' fate from afar. They fear to set forth or even make a sound. They wait for someone strong to take them ashore. They wait and get old. They get choked and don't get heard. Words.

നിശബ്ദത

                        മുത്തശ്ശൻ ക്ലോക്കിൽ മണി പന്ത്രണ്ട് അടിച്ചു. മഴ പെയ്തു ഒഴിഞ്ഞിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇറ്റു വീഴുന്ന വെള്ളതുള്ളികളും ഇടയ്ക്കുള്ള ചീവീടിന്റെ ശബ്ദവും ഒഴിച്ചാൽ ചുറ്റിലും എങ്ങും നിശബ്ദത. എല്ലാവരും ഉറങ്ങി തുടങ്ങി.   ഒരാൾ മാത്രം ഉറക്കമൊഴിച്ച് കാത്തിരിപ്പുണ്ട്. പൂർണ്ണമായ നിശബ്ദതക്കു വേണ്ടി. ഇന്നത്തെ ജോലി അതീവ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ ചെയ്യേണ്ടത് ആണ്, അതിനു പരിപൂർണ്ണ നിശബ്ദത അയാള്ക്കു ആവശ്യമുണ്ടു. ശബ്ദം ഉണ്ടാക്കാതെ അയാൾ കുറച്ചു കൂടെ കാത്തിരുന്നു. പതിയെ ചീവിടുകളും ഉറക്കത്തിലായെന്നു തോന്നുന്നു.  ഒരു ശബ്ദവും കേൾക്കാനില്ല. സന്തോഷത്തോടെ അയാൾ എഴുന്നേറ്റു. തന്റെ പക്കലുള്ള ചെറിയ വെട്ടം അയാൾ തെളിയിച്ചു, ചുറ്റിലും നോക്കി. ഇല്ല അപകടം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല. കാലത്തു നോക്കി വച്ചിരുന്ന വീടിനടുത്തേക്ക് അയാൾ പതിയെ ചെന്നു. പതുങ്ങി ഇരുന്നു കുറച്ചു നേരം അയാൾ  കാതോർത്തു. ശബ്ദമൊന്നും കേൾക്കുന്നില്ല. എല്ലാവരും നല്ല ഉറക്കത്തിലാണ്. ജനവാതിൽ തുറന്നു നേരത്തെ ഇളക്കി മാറ്റിയിരുന്ന ജനൽ കമ്പികളുടെ വിടവിലൂടെ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ അയാൾ അകത്തു കടന്നു. ഇരുണ്ട വെട്ടത്തിൽ അലമാര ഇരിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥലം ലക്ഷ്യമാക്കി പമ്മി പമ്മി അയാൾ നടന്നു. ഇനിയാണ് ശ്രദ്ധ വേണ്ടത്.