Skip to main content

Ten kms ten kilos and ten K











 Ten kms  ten kilos and ten K - the 3 K's


"Ten kilometer  is not such a big deal, not hard at all. People run that all the time."
"May be not for marathon runners. For me it is.  I am not an athlete."
"You used to say you were a cricketer once. " 
"Did I ?" 
"You know what your problem is? You give up quite easily and you are dead lazy." 
"Certainly not.  This is a boring bet to begin with."
"Not my problem anymore, bro."
This conversation happened a month after the bet was made. So a month has gone by after this conversation (or was it two?).  

I don’t quite remember how I got into this one. I was slowly walked into this trap, I assume. Silly me. And even sillier me !! I got myself into not one, but two such bets.

Inherent human nature ??? Probably.

People who gamble when they lose a bet this could, more or less, be the thought that crosses their mind.

    “I will try my luck one more time. I can make up for my loss and if it goes well I can make some profit as well, who knows “. 

The advice I can give in retrospect, don't mind the loss; just walk away when you have time before you go knee-deep into it. Well I dint know it then, I learned it the hard way. Experience teaches you lot of things.

My friend Nikhil was back in Bangalore. I had reached a month back and was enjoying the cool metro life(meant the climate) until he showed up. 

He was having a realisation that the B-school life and the post training period had taken a toll on him. Life was demanding, work pressure was immense. Like the Kung Fu Panda when he is stressed he eat. Moreover food was tasty and in abundance. He had put on some extra kilos.  And he was committed to getting back to where he actually was a couple of years back. All that we heard during his first few days in Blore was ‘calories’. The rest of the time was spent in several bicycle shops across blore studying international bicycle models and its features.  He didn’t go alone, dragged us, me and Ojas, our friend with him.  We went bicycle hunting in a couple of shops in Madivala where we stayed, then went to Decathlon.  If you haven’t already heard, Decathlon is a major French sporting goods chain store, with stores located throughout the world. They got a couple of stores in Blore as well.  I must say it was an amazing experience, everyone must go there once. We had spent a whole evening there.

This is how it started: we were coming back from Decathlon; I told him that he would stop cycling within a month. He took it as a call for a bet.

Oh I didn’t see it coming, should have.

 This is where it ended: If he sheds 10 kilos in 5 months, I should pay him 10K else he would pay me the same.  And the second bet? What can I say, totally my foolishness, nothing else.  Like I said earlier it is an inherent human nature to overdo, or is certainly mine. I tried to compensate for my loss and ended up in other. New bet: Within the next five months I have to run 10kms at a stretch. If successful, I can buy books  worth 10k and he will pay for it or else I will have to do the same for him. Oja, the bet commissioner sealed the deal.

You never challenge a guy who is seriously determined to do something, say to lose weight.  My roommate Chathan comes up with such declarations every now and then, rigorously follows  it for a week or so, lose couple of kilos in the process (mostly due to loose motion over eating on a cheat day), claims he can shed weight whenever and however he wants and goes back to his eating spree. Prior experience being this, I didn’t take Nikhil very seriously and inadvertently gave him motivation to do it. These management guys you know, when they see a window of opportunity they grab it and grab it with both hands.  He takes Joker’s ‘when you are good at something never do it for free’ theory quite seriously and was experimenting it on me.  

 There are two ways to go about this.

For the love of books I can try running.  Or I can tempt him to eat more.  Couple of months have gone by.  I am yet to run 10 meters.  And about plan B,  I tried buying him fat filled commodities. But he didn't fall for my trick.  

There is even a plan C.  Not to talk about this anymore. Be indifferent to his calorie theories and react as if you don’t care. He may lose the motivation or even forget about the bet. 

Who knows? 


P.S. Nothing happened, mutual understanding it was. We don't talk about it anymore. The bet commissioner, now and then, laments about wasting a golden opportunity. He says he had a gut feeling that both of us wouldn't complete our respective bets. He should have had made a bet, he feels.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Graphics

Papa, where are you going?? My little girl asks me  To attend a marriage dear. I told her It is a Sunday and she expects I will take her to the park like I promised.  I waited for an array of questions from her, and she doesn’t disappoint me.  "Are we not going to the park today?" " No dear, I have to go. We will go later." “Why aren't you taking us? Who is getting married? ” Rishin uncle is getting married  "Chathan uncle” she corrected me with enough conviction which made me feel that it was me who made the mistake. She caught hold of that name recently and since then I didn’t hear her calling him anything other than that. But she never calls him Chathan in public; they have made a pact it seems.  She started circling around me doing her tiny little steps. She doesn’t look surprised by the news; I was practically taken aback when he told me. It was late last night, he called me and declared. "I am going to get marrie

Words

Words are echoing in my mind. There is no coherent thought in it. They just jump around in an urge to get out.  Me first me first, they say. They don't realise they aren't ready to walk on their own. They have to stand behind an idea and grow. Or they are mere words without a soul. Few are bit more wiser than the rest. They group with their half brothers and create unrest, even getting heard at times. They wander aimlessly for a while, gliding along any path they see. For they don't have a destination in their mind and are lost without doubt The newbies see their brothers' fate from afar. They fear to set forth or even make a sound. They wait for someone strong to take them ashore. They wait and get old. They get choked and don't get heard. Words.

നിശബ്ദത

                        മുത്തശ്ശൻ ക്ലോക്കിൽ മണി പന്ത്രണ്ട് അടിച്ചു. മഴ പെയ്തു ഒഴിഞ്ഞിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇറ്റു വീഴുന്ന വെള്ളതുള്ളികളും ഇടയ്ക്കുള്ള ചീവീടിന്റെ ശബ്ദവും ഒഴിച്ചാൽ ചുറ്റിലും എങ്ങും നിശബ്ദത. എല്ലാവരും ഉറങ്ങി തുടങ്ങി.   ഒരാൾ മാത്രം ഉറക്കമൊഴിച്ച് കാത്തിരിപ്പുണ്ട്. പൂർണ്ണമായ നിശബ്ദതക്കു വേണ്ടി. ഇന്നത്തെ ജോലി അതീവ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ ചെയ്യേണ്ടത് ആണ്, അതിനു പരിപൂർണ്ണ നിശബ്ദത അയാള്ക്കു ആവശ്യമുണ്ടു. ശബ്ദം ഉണ്ടാക്കാതെ അയാൾ കുറച്ചു കൂടെ കാത്തിരുന്നു. പതിയെ ചീവിടുകളും ഉറക്കത്തിലായെന്നു തോന്നുന്നു.  ഒരു ശബ്ദവും കേൾക്കാനില്ല. സന്തോഷത്തോടെ അയാൾ എഴുന്നേറ്റു. തന്റെ പക്കലുള്ള ചെറിയ വെട്ടം അയാൾ തെളിയിച്ചു, ചുറ്റിലും നോക്കി. ഇല്ല അപകടം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല. കാലത്തു നോക്കി വച്ചിരുന്ന വീടിനടുത്തേക്ക് അയാൾ പതിയെ ചെന്നു. പതുങ്ങി ഇരുന്നു കുറച്ചു നേരം അയാൾ  കാതോർത്തു. ശബ്ദമൊന്നും കേൾക്കുന്നില്ല. എല്ലാവരും നല്ല ഉറക്കത്തിലാണ്. ജനവാതിൽ തുറന്നു നേരത്തെ ഇളക്കി മാറ്റിയിരുന്ന ജനൽ കമ്പികളുടെ വിടവിലൂടെ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ അയാൾ അകത്തു കടന്നു. ഇരുണ്ട വെട്ടത്തിൽ അലമാര ഇരിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥലം ലക്ഷ്യമാക്കി പമ്മി പമ്മി അയാൾ നടന്നു. ഇനിയാണ് ശ്രദ്ധ വേണ്ടത്.