Skip to main content

A stranger

While you travel, at times you will get acquainted with people whom you won’t forget for a long time. I too made such acquaintances while I traveled. I think one of them is worth mentioning, a B'lore walla I met here in Kerala.

The IPL second edition was in its final stages. I personally didn’t follow any team for rarely did I get a chance to watch a match. I was being updated with match details by my friends.
That day I was having a journey to Trivandrum from Ernakulam. I don’t remember which train it was, but do remember that I got into a sleeper compartment with a general ticket as the train was about to leave. I was waiting near the foot board to get down in the next station to get back to general compartment

A person was sitting at the foot board enjoying the sceneries outside having a chat over his phone in his mother tongue (not Malayalam), suddenly made a triumphant action. I heard him mentioning Dravid at some point. Only then did I understand that it was regarding IPL. I knew that royal Challengers had a match that night, asked him if they won he said yes and a conversation started. It went on and talk was finally regarding our career and job. I said I’m an engineer!! working in a private company in Ernakulam. There was a startled look on my face when he said he is a Doctor preparing for his MD.

He saw that and asked “Don’t I look like a doctor?”

“No. As a matter of fact I didn’t expect you to be one.”

“Why?”

I couldn’t imagine a doctor to be a one with a cleanly shaved head traveling on the foot board of a train.

Hmmm.. We are also humans right?

I guess it is time to change my views.

I like to take risks in my life and I enjoy traveling like this.

Won’t you feel sleepy?

No I don’t sleep while traveling
.
I gave him free lecture on the danger of sitting on the foot board. My parents give me tons of advices on such things each time I make a train journey, so it wasn’t difficult for me to give a lecture myself (now a days I let them know about my journeys only when it is over). He merely smiled.

The talk continued and the train was approaching Kottayam. He suggested that I don’t have to go back to general compartment. He got down in Kottayam and I found an unoccupied upper berth keeping in mind that I don’t have an excuse to say if a TTE appears before me. But luckily no one came and I reached Trivandrum in the morning. I don’t know what paid off in the end, the risk I have taken like he said or the little fortune what we call beginners luck.

I don’t remember his name now, you won’t blame me for that if you know me well enough. But it really was a nice experience meeting him.

Comments

  1. Travelling in foot board.. Thats a great experince..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Blogger,

    We are a group of students from cochin who are currently building a web portal on kerala. in which we wish to include a kerala blog roll with links to blogs maintained by malayali's or blogs on kerala.

    you could find our site here: http://enchantingkerala.org

    the site is currently being constructed and will be finished by 1st of Oct 2009.

    we wish to include your blog located here

    http://nirmal-backtosquareone.blogspot.com/

    we'll also have a feed fetcher which updates the recently updated blogs from among the listed blogs thus generating traffic to your recently posted entries.

    If you are interested in listing your site in our blog roll; kindly include a link to our site in your blog in the prescribed format and send us a reply to enchantingkerala.org@gmail.com and we'll add your blog immediately. Ypu can add to our blog if you have more blog pls sent us the link of other blog we will add here

    pls use the following format to link to us

    Kerala

    Write Back To me Over here bijoy20313@gmail.com

    hoping to hear from you soon.

    warm regards

    Biby Cletus

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Graphics

Papa, where are you going?? My little girl asks me  To attend a marriage dear. I told her It is a Sunday and she expects I will take her to the park like I promised.  I waited for an array of questions from her, and she doesn’t disappoint me.  "Are we not going to the park today?" " No dear, I have to go. We will go later." “Why aren't you taking us? Who is getting married? ” Rishin uncle is getting married  "Chathan uncle” she corrected me with enough conviction which made me feel that it was me who made the mistake. She caught hold of that name recently and since then I didn’t hear her calling him anything other than that. But she never calls him Chathan in public; they have made a pact it seems.  She started circling around me doing her tiny little steps. She doesn’t look surprised by the news; I was practically taken aback when he told me. It was late last night, he called me and declared. "I am going to get marrie

Words

Words are echoing in my mind. There is no coherent thought in it. They just jump around in an urge to get out.  Me first me first, they say. They don't realise they aren't ready to walk on their own. They have to stand behind an idea and grow. Or they are mere words without a soul. Few are bit more wiser than the rest. They group with their half brothers and create unrest, even getting heard at times. They wander aimlessly for a while, gliding along any path they see. For they don't have a destination in their mind and are lost without doubt The newbies see their brothers' fate from afar. They fear to set forth or even make a sound. They wait for someone strong to take them ashore. They wait and get old. They get choked and don't get heard. Words.

നിശബ്ദത

                        മുത്തശ്ശൻ ക്ലോക്കിൽ മണി പന്ത്രണ്ട് അടിച്ചു. മഴ പെയ്തു ഒഴിഞ്ഞിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇറ്റു വീഴുന്ന വെള്ളതുള്ളികളും ഇടയ്ക്കുള്ള ചീവീടിന്റെ ശബ്ദവും ഒഴിച്ചാൽ ചുറ്റിലും എങ്ങും നിശബ്ദത. എല്ലാവരും ഉറങ്ങി തുടങ്ങി.   ഒരാൾ മാത്രം ഉറക്കമൊഴിച്ച് കാത്തിരിപ്പുണ്ട്. പൂർണ്ണമായ നിശബ്ദതക്കു വേണ്ടി. ഇന്നത്തെ ജോലി അതീവ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ ചെയ്യേണ്ടത് ആണ്, അതിനു പരിപൂർണ്ണ നിശബ്ദത അയാള്ക്കു ആവശ്യമുണ്ടു. ശബ്ദം ഉണ്ടാക്കാതെ അയാൾ കുറച്ചു കൂടെ കാത്തിരുന്നു. പതിയെ ചീവിടുകളും ഉറക്കത്തിലായെന്നു തോന്നുന്നു.  ഒരു ശബ്ദവും കേൾക്കാനില്ല. സന്തോഷത്തോടെ അയാൾ എഴുന്നേറ്റു. തന്റെ പക്കലുള്ള ചെറിയ വെട്ടം അയാൾ തെളിയിച്ചു, ചുറ്റിലും നോക്കി. ഇല്ല അപകടം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല. കാലത്തു നോക്കി വച്ചിരുന്ന വീടിനടുത്തേക്ക് അയാൾ പതിയെ ചെന്നു. പതുങ്ങി ഇരുന്നു കുറച്ചു നേരം അയാൾ  കാതോർത്തു. ശബ്ദമൊന്നും കേൾക്കുന്നില്ല. എല്ലാവരും നല്ല ഉറക്കത്തിലാണ്. ജനവാതിൽ തുറന്നു നേരത്തെ ഇളക്കി മാറ്റിയിരുന്ന ജനൽ കമ്പികളുടെ വിടവിലൂടെ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ അയാൾ അകത്തു കടന്നു. ഇരുണ്ട വെട്ടത്തിൽ അലമാര ഇരിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥലം ലക്ഷ്യമാക്കി പമ്മി പമ്മി അയാൾ നടന്നു. ഇനിയാണ് ശ്രദ്ധ വേണ്ടത്.