Skip to main content

how to look at a girl

It was a nice Sunday evening and I was spending some quality time with her. We were having snacks from her favorite hotel. We looked for a private space but couldn’t find any, so were made to sit in a corner in the highly crammed hotel.

As we were eating she complained that someone was staring at her. There wasn’t any point in creating an issue there, I asked her to let it go. She didn’t like the way I responded and was having a cold look on her face. I wasn’t sure if she was suggesting that I should question the person who did the blatant act. The point to be brave is always good (especially when you are with a girl). But the anonymity of the person behind my back scared me. If he turned out to be a heavily built one, it would have an opposite effect. I might not be left in a state that would let me do braver deeds later in life. More over we are from the country where Mahatma Gandhi lived!! So I tried to console her. But she was in no mood to let it go that easily and was going to question him. Some how I distracted her from it and we continued our talks.

After a while our anonymous man left. She said he was still staring at her, I was so busy with my Samosa that I missed him. She wasn’t going to leave the topic.

"All men are same, you people always stare at unwanted places“ She said.

What? (I didn’t like her generalizing it) How can you put the blame on rest of us for this?

How do you look at a girl then?


This was much like a question one faces during an engineering ragging section. But you can’t give a similar reply to a girl. There isn’t any point in denying the fact though. I tried to make it as mild as possible.

I look at a girl, you know, much like watching a sunset or a beautiful picture.

Is that so?


I looked at her face. she wasn’t satisfied with my answer.

Ok. I don’t know about the rest. I start with the face.

And?

Don't say that you people never want us to look at you. Why do you waste so much money and time dressing up then?

That is not an excuse for any kind of staring you people give us.


I looked around. We were at a safe distance from eavesdropping ears. But the place however wasn’t safe enough to have a discussion of that kind.

Ok what ever. It is getting late, we will talk about this later.


I paid the bill and we came out of the hotel. We walked in silence for a while. It changed the mood and we didn’t talk about the topic further. After having some pep talks we left for our respective perches.

Some other issues took this topic away from our phone calls during the following days. Even that didn’t help me escape having an introspection. This wasn't a test about the class where you belong, among good boys or bad ones. It was more about the curiosity to know how do I actually look at a girl?

Till that day what ever be the way that I looked at a girl there wasn't any thing that is deliberate in it. There wasn’t any method or plan, it was in a natural way. Mind was directed on its own accord. After that when ever a girl appeared before me there was a smile on my face. I was trying to know how my eyes traveled when I see a girl.

What I said to her is partially correct, watching a girl is much like watching a picture. Generally we are in quest for finding beauty in anything we see, so end up watching or it is better to say the our eyes go for, what that is more beautiful than the rest.

Having someone close will change the way we look at the opposite sex. It brings in some nobility and we tend to be more chivalrous. We wont be gazing in a lecherous way atleast when (not if)they are with us.

After being made to go through such thoughts I couldn’t help but wonder how girls might be returning such favor to us. They might just be seeing some heads dangling in mid air or at least this is what they are trying to make us believe.

Watching or scanning (what ever the name is) a girl is almost the same with the men, it is a basic instinct. Girls do have such instincts as well. But most often they try to hide it with the fear of getting taint in their image. But I’m sure they won’t mind giving furtive glances that won't sully their reputation. I can't possibly say they are capable of giving same level of staring like what a boy does when he see a girl.

And in any case if they start giving some serious staring (not an angry one!!), how will a boy react to it ? Will that be a reaction mixed with some kind of perplexity or delighted that a girl is looking at you or may even feel bit awkward ?
I don't know..

Comments

  1. I guess yu'd get better comments form a gal, but from what i've gethered from gals in simiar conversations is as long as yu don mentally undress her,(n yes gals can make it out from the intensity of the stare) they are not too un-comfortable wid it..maybe not at all.. but pop a button n der it gets hott...!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Graphics

Papa, where are you going?? My little girl asks me  To attend a marriage dear. I told her It is a Sunday and she expects I will take her to the park like I promised.  I waited for an array of questions from her, and she doesn’t disappoint me.  "Are we not going to the park today?" " No dear, I have to go. We will go later." “Why aren't you taking us? Who is getting married? ” Rishin uncle is getting married  "Chathan uncle” she corrected me with enough conviction which made me feel that it was me who made the mistake. She caught hold of that name recently and since then I didn’t hear her calling him anything other than that. But she never calls him Chathan in public; they have made a pact it seems.  She started circling around me doing her tiny little steps. She doesn’t look surprised by the news; I was practically taken aback when he told me. It was late last night, he called me and declared. "I am going to get marrie

Words

Words are echoing in my mind. There is no coherent thought in it. They just jump around in an urge to get out.  Me first me first, they say. They don't realise they aren't ready to walk on their own. They have to stand behind an idea and grow. Or they are mere words without a soul. Few are bit more wiser than the rest. They group with their half brothers and create unrest, even getting heard at times. They wander aimlessly for a while, gliding along any path they see. For they don't have a destination in their mind and are lost without doubt The newbies see their brothers' fate from afar. They fear to set forth or even make a sound. They wait for someone strong to take them ashore. They wait and get old. They get choked and don't get heard. Words.

നിശബ്ദത

                        മുത്തശ്ശൻ ക്ലോക്കിൽ മണി പന്ത്രണ്ട് അടിച്ചു. മഴ പെയ്തു ഒഴിഞ്ഞിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇറ്റു വീഴുന്ന വെള്ളതുള്ളികളും ഇടയ്ക്കുള്ള ചീവീടിന്റെ ശബ്ദവും ഒഴിച്ചാൽ ചുറ്റിലും എങ്ങും നിശബ്ദത. എല്ലാവരും ഉറങ്ങി തുടങ്ങി.   ഒരാൾ മാത്രം ഉറക്കമൊഴിച്ച് കാത്തിരിപ്പുണ്ട്. പൂർണ്ണമായ നിശബ്ദതക്കു വേണ്ടി. ഇന്നത്തെ ജോലി അതീവ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ ചെയ്യേണ്ടത് ആണ്, അതിനു പരിപൂർണ്ണ നിശബ്ദത അയാള്ക്കു ആവശ്യമുണ്ടു. ശബ്ദം ഉണ്ടാക്കാതെ അയാൾ കുറച്ചു കൂടെ കാത്തിരുന്നു. പതിയെ ചീവിടുകളും ഉറക്കത്തിലായെന്നു തോന്നുന്നു.  ഒരു ശബ്ദവും കേൾക്കാനില്ല. സന്തോഷത്തോടെ അയാൾ എഴുന്നേറ്റു. തന്റെ പക്കലുള്ള ചെറിയ വെട്ടം അയാൾ തെളിയിച്ചു, ചുറ്റിലും നോക്കി. ഇല്ല അപകടം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല. കാലത്തു നോക്കി വച്ചിരുന്ന വീടിനടുത്തേക്ക് അയാൾ പതിയെ ചെന്നു. പതുങ്ങി ഇരുന്നു കുറച്ചു നേരം അയാൾ  കാതോർത്തു. ശബ്ദമൊന്നും കേൾക്കുന്നില്ല. എല്ലാവരും നല്ല ഉറക്കത്തിലാണ്. ജനവാതിൽ തുറന്നു നേരത്തെ ഇളക്കി മാറ്റിയിരുന്ന ജനൽ കമ്പികളുടെ വിടവിലൂടെ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ അയാൾ അകത്തു കടന്നു. ഇരുണ്ട വെട്ടത്തിൽ അലമാര ഇരിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥലം ലക്ഷ്യമാക്കി പമ്മി പമ്മി അയാൾ നടന്നു. ഇനിയാണ് ശ്രദ്ധ വേണ്ടത്.