Skip to main content

Timewarp


 The Trailer.




Note : Trailer or Accidents. It took me a while to pick a title for this post. I have met with many accidents, minor and semi major, but nothing  gave me nightmares like this one in particular. I never had a near death experience prior to this, nothing that I am aware of.

Interestingly I started having nightmares after I picked Interpretation of Dreams to read. But that is as far as the connections go.

Me and my roommate Rohan were heading back to our place from office. The night was young, the city and its inhabitants were slowly going to their sleep. Streets were almost deserted apart from  the few night vendors here and there. It was a perfect time for a night ride.

When we reached the pipeline junction, the signal was red. Though the roads were empty and there weren't any vehicles crossing the junction that moment, we waited there before the signal. It was a needless act I must say. We started moving when we got green.We had hardly crossed the center when I felt its presence. Everything around me started moving in slow motion. Time got warped, felt a gush of cold air on my face and an equally cold chauffeur with his sixteen wheeler stared at me from a close proximity. The expression on his face, if there was any, was sheer indifference. I couldn't read his eyes. I was hoping he would apply the brakes any moment. But by each passing moment I was getting aware that even if he intends to make any such effort it wouldn't do us any good that to crush us  slowly under its giant wheels. Since we stopped earlier we hadn't gained enough speed so weren't confident about covering the distance.

Rohan later told me he felt  he could manage to take the front side of his en-field from the impact but not the back side. I felt too happy to have got a friend who is concerned about my safety. But he was worried about bikes hind quarters( it was fresh out after several alterations). To my luck both of us, hind part of the bullet and me, were the same at that moment. The Trailer missed us by a whisker and sped away without even bothering to stop.

I don't know what change an accident brings to people apart from those who watched Final destination and take it seriously. We laughed a lot after this incident. Everything else became less significant. or we weren't bothered about anything else. We were immensely happy. Not just because we survived life seemed really valuable. Thoughts were crystal clear. But the moment passes.

I am strongly advised not to go anywhere near motor bikes. My parents, in fact the whole family, despise it and are afraid of them. So I am not sure whether I am supposed to be following that strictly and keep a distance from bikes. But many of the time you can't help it. You travel and you prefer traveling on bikes. Had a bike trip from Bangalore to Goa, met with few other accidents. Though it many of them could have gone wrong nothing had an impact on me like the trailer incident.

To this day sight of sixteen wheelers give me nightmares. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graphics

Papa, where are you going?? My little girl asks me  To attend a marriage dear. I told her It is a Sunday and she expects I will take her to the park like I promised.  I waited for an array of questions from her, and she doesn’t disappoint me.  "Are we not going to the park today?" " No dear, I have to go. We will go later." “Why aren't you taking us? Who is getting married? ” Rishin uncle is getting married  "Chathan uncle” she corrected me with enough conviction which made me feel that it was me who made the mistake. She caught hold of that name recently and since then I didn’t hear her calling him anything other than that. But she never calls him Chathan in public; they have made a pact it seems.  She started circling around me doing her tiny little steps. She doesn’t look surprised by the news; I was practically taken aback when he told me. It was late last night, he called me and declared. "I am going to get marrie

Words

Words are echoing in my mind. There is no coherent thought in it. They just jump around in an urge to get out.  Me first me first, they say. They don't realise they aren't ready to walk on their own. They have to stand behind an idea and grow. Or they are mere words without a soul. Few are bit more wiser than the rest. They group with their half brothers and create unrest, even getting heard at times. They wander aimlessly for a while, gliding along any path they see. For they don't have a destination in their mind and are lost without doubt The newbies see their brothers' fate from afar. They fear to set forth or even make a sound. They wait for someone strong to take them ashore. They wait and get old. They get choked and don't get heard. Words.

നിശബ്ദത

                        മുത്തശ്ശൻ ക്ലോക്കിൽ മണി പന്ത്രണ്ട് അടിച്ചു. മഴ പെയ്തു ഒഴിഞ്ഞിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇറ്റു വീഴുന്ന വെള്ളതുള്ളികളും ഇടയ്ക്കുള്ള ചീവീടിന്റെ ശബ്ദവും ഒഴിച്ചാൽ ചുറ്റിലും എങ്ങും നിശബ്ദത. എല്ലാവരും ഉറങ്ങി തുടങ്ങി.   ഒരാൾ മാത്രം ഉറക്കമൊഴിച്ച് കാത്തിരിപ്പുണ്ട്. പൂർണ്ണമായ നിശബ്ദതക്കു വേണ്ടി. ഇന്നത്തെ ജോലി അതീവ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ ചെയ്യേണ്ടത് ആണ്, അതിനു പരിപൂർണ്ണ നിശബ്ദത അയാള്ക്കു ആവശ്യമുണ്ടു. ശബ്ദം ഉണ്ടാക്കാതെ അയാൾ കുറച്ചു കൂടെ കാത്തിരുന്നു. പതിയെ ചീവിടുകളും ഉറക്കത്തിലായെന്നു തോന്നുന്നു.  ഒരു ശബ്ദവും കേൾക്കാനില്ല. സന്തോഷത്തോടെ അയാൾ എഴുന്നേറ്റു. തന്റെ പക്കലുള്ള ചെറിയ വെട്ടം അയാൾ തെളിയിച്ചു, ചുറ്റിലും നോക്കി. ഇല്ല അപകടം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല. കാലത്തു നോക്കി വച്ചിരുന്ന വീടിനടുത്തേക്ക് അയാൾ പതിയെ ചെന്നു. പതുങ്ങി ഇരുന്നു കുറച്ചു നേരം അയാൾ  കാതോർത്തു. ശബ്ദമൊന്നും കേൾക്കുന്നില്ല. എല്ലാവരും നല്ല ഉറക്കത്തിലാണ്. ജനവാതിൽ തുറന്നു നേരത്തെ ഇളക്കി മാറ്റിയിരുന്ന ജനൽ കമ്പികളുടെ വിടവിലൂടെ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ അയാൾ അകത്തു കടന്നു. ഇരുണ്ട വെട്ടത്തിൽ അലമാര ഇരിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥലം ലക്ഷ്യമാക്കി പമ്മി പമ്മി അയാൾ നടന്നു. ഇനിയാണ് ശ്രദ്ധ വേണ്ടത്.