Skip to main content

An uninvited friend !



However sweet your ring tone is, however lovely you think it is, you will have a moment of quiet introspection when your mobile start ringing while you are having a nice sleep.


Now I certainly do.

"hey. you there?? "

"Yea..ah "    I replied, not having fully recovered from sleep.

What were you doing? I have been trying your number for a while.

sleeping, I said sheepishly

What? it is just 8 man!!!

Oh..

Pause.. I checked my watch, it was just 8.

"I fell asleep."

"OK. I will be there in ten fifteen minutes.. Don't go anywhere."

"OK.. "


I put the phone down and tried to sleep. Sleeping further was pointless. He would be here any moment to wake me up again.

I got up, put on my slippers and went outside. It had rained while I slept. Air was still cool. Felt a gush of refreshing cold breeze on my face and felt a chill running through my spine. But it wasn't just the cold breeze. Origin was somewhere else, under my feet if I am not mistaken, giving a tickling sensation now and then.

When you touch a burning object or get pricked by a sharp substance, you make an involuntary movement. That is 'response to stimuli', I remember my biology teacher trying to teach us in high school. Know it or not, without it, lazy sluggish people like me would end up dead more than once on a daily basis.

Response to tickling it was, somehow I got my feet detached  from the slippers and with it, a small reptile, black with prominent white bands all over its body, took its leave. It wasn't hard to recognize, Velli kattan, shankhu varayan or ettadi veeran. You might know it as common krait (   a member of the "big four",including cobra and two types of viper,  species inflicting the most snakebites in India. )

My body had made it's maximum reflex possible and was reluctant to make any move. I was transfixed. But my uninvited friend had realized he was unwelcome, made no fuss and took his leave.


"Why are you standing there like that ???"

I could lift my head and make a feeble sound "Snake"

What ??? Where?

It left the way you came in.

He started jumping around like tigger from winnie pooh.

Why didn't you kill it??

He was already on top of one of the chairs.

I didnt say anything.

Where did you find it ?

Under my feet.. over my slippers..

What the ...  and did it bite you ???


That was when it struck me, did it bite me?? does the bite leave marks? I went back to my room. Sat on my bed, decided bite should leave some marks and started checking my feet for bite marks.

After several minutes of inspection I shortlisted several probable bite marks which had an appeal. Moreover I started having pain from more than one of those.


My friend was still on top of the chair.

"Did you find any?? Hey don't panic. If it had bitten, you would have been long gone by now."

I didn't say anything. I was trying to see if I can find more bite marks.

"And common krait is decent snake."

He had opted for science in his plus two.

"it doesn't bite much unless provoked."

Does standing on top of it meet that criteria? who knows.. I didn't ask

"Even if it does, death is less violent as compared to a viper bite. Their venom is neuro-toxin, it causes paralysis. You know if it bites you in your sleep, you will die peacefully in your sleep and you wont even know."

He then went on giving lectures till midnight about several 'to know' things about snakes, several folklore, stories from his village and more. If it was the paralysis that was seeping in or just the fear, I didn't have any energy left to pay much attention to his lecture, I slept at some point.

In the morning when I checked the mirror I was relieved to see I didn't look blue, literally, like someone from avatar.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Graphics

Papa, where are you going?? My little girl asks me  To attend a marriage dear. I told her It is a Sunday and she expects I will take her to the park like I promised.  I waited for an array of questions from her, and she doesn’t disappoint me.  "Are we not going to the park today?" " No dear, I have to go. We will go later." “Why aren't you taking us? Who is getting married? ” Rishin uncle is getting married  "Chathan uncle” she corrected me with enough conviction which made me feel that it was me who made the mistake. She caught hold of that name recently and since then I didn’t hear her calling him anything other than that. But she never calls him Chathan in public; they have made a pact it seems.  She started circling around me doing her tiny little steps. She doesn’t look surprised by the news; I was practically taken aback when he told me. It was late last night, he called me and declared. "I am going to get marrie

Words

Words are echoing in my mind. There is no coherent thought in it. They just jump around in an urge to get out.  Me first me first, they say. They don't realise they aren't ready to walk on their own. They have to stand behind an idea and grow. Or they are mere words without a soul. Few are bit more wiser than the rest. They group with their half brothers and create unrest, even getting heard at times. They wander aimlessly for a while, gliding along any path they see. For they don't have a destination in their mind and are lost without doubt The newbies see their brothers' fate from afar. They fear to set forth or even make a sound. They wait for someone strong to take them ashore. They wait and get old. They get choked and don't get heard. Words.

നിശബ്ദത

                        മുത്തശ്ശൻ ക്ലോക്കിൽ മണി പന്ത്രണ്ട് അടിച്ചു. മഴ പെയ്തു ഒഴിഞ്ഞിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇറ്റു വീഴുന്ന വെള്ളതുള്ളികളും ഇടയ്ക്കുള്ള ചീവീടിന്റെ ശബ്ദവും ഒഴിച്ചാൽ ചുറ്റിലും എങ്ങും നിശബ്ദത. എല്ലാവരും ഉറങ്ങി തുടങ്ങി.   ഒരാൾ മാത്രം ഉറക്കമൊഴിച്ച് കാത്തിരിപ്പുണ്ട്. പൂർണ്ണമായ നിശബ്ദതക്കു വേണ്ടി. ഇന്നത്തെ ജോലി അതീവ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ ചെയ്യേണ്ടത് ആണ്, അതിനു പരിപൂർണ്ണ നിശബ്ദത അയാള്ക്കു ആവശ്യമുണ്ടു. ശബ്ദം ഉണ്ടാക്കാതെ അയാൾ കുറച്ചു കൂടെ കാത്തിരുന്നു. പതിയെ ചീവിടുകളും ഉറക്കത്തിലായെന്നു തോന്നുന്നു.  ഒരു ശബ്ദവും കേൾക്കാനില്ല. സന്തോഷത്തോടെ അയാൾ എഴുന്നേറ്റു. തന്റെ പക്കലുള്ള ചെറിയ വെട്ടം അയാൾ തെളിയിച്ചു, ചുറ്റിലും നോക്കി. ഇല്ല അപകടം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല. കാലത്തു നോക്കി വച്ചിരുന്ന വീടിനടുത്തേക്ക് അയാൾ പതിയെ ചെന്നു. പതുങ്ങി ഇരുന്നു കുറച്ചു നേരം അയാൾ  കാതോർത്തു. ശബ്ദമൊന്നും കേൾക്കുന്നില്ല. എല്ലാവരും നല്ല ഉറക്കത്തിലാണ്. ജനവാതിൽ തുറന്നു നേരത്തെ ഇളക്കി മാറ്റിയിരുന്ന ജനൽ കമ്പികളുടെ വിടവിലൂടെ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ അയാൾ അകത്തു കടന്നു. ഇരുണ്ട വെട്ടത്തിൽ അലമാര ഇരിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥലം ലക്ഷ്യമാക്കി പമ്മി പമ്മി അയാൾ നടന്നു. ഇനിയാണ് ശ്രദ്ധ വേണ്ടത്.