Skip to main content

Chi Chak Cho !!

        It's really interesting how memory works. Often, random things evoke memories, memories so old, you didn't know even existed in the first place. I find it really peculiar. Mine definitely. For as long as I can remember, I have had trouble remembering!!. Trivial or significant, it made no difference. 

A friend of mine @Anjoosee had randomly tweeted something and it took me for a stroll down memory lane. So I was pleasantly surprised when I suddenly recollected a song a friend of mine used to sing almost 2 decades back. Not that I could recollect the entire song, but I was able to reproduce the general mood of the song, how it sounded and some of the lyrics. 


Resmin, my old school mate, had joined our school, Rani Jai HS nearby old  and prestigious Nirmalagiri College, in third standard. Before joining there he had done his schooling abroad and was really good in English. He could speak the language, and quite brilliantly too. Though our school followed an English medium education system no one did really speak a word in English back then. Hailing from different parts of Kannur there wasn't too much of a need for anyone to speak the language.  And for us Resmin was like an alien coming from a different planet. He became an instant hit. And definitely your star value won't hurt if you could sing few English songs. There was this particular song that he used to sing more often. He sang this song for almost an year until we made a full Malayali out of him. 

When I checked online, interestingly I found out that several before me had searched for the same song. China Man song it is purportedly known as and was really popular back then. Grandparents used to sing it to their grand kids and they shared it to their grand children and so on, much like a family food recipe.  Several variants of this particular song are available online and I took one which followed the pattern that I had in my mind. 

Here it goes.  
Once in China there lived a funny man
his name was chika waka chi chai cho
his hands were long and his legs were short
because of that he couldn't walk at all
 

chika waka chika waka chi chaka noma 
noma noma noma pakatoto 
ichi pie po 
ichi pie ichi pie chi chai cho. 
Then then then the big fat man, 
washed his face in a frying pan,
he combed his hair with his big toenail
and brushed his teeth with a horse's tail
 
chika waka chika waka chi chika noms
noma noma noma pakatoto
ichi pie po ichi pie ichi pie
chi chai cho
chi chai cho
chee chhaai chhooo.........

Note: I am not sure about the chorus -chika waka- part mentioned here is what he used to sing.  And like I said earlier there are several variants of this particular song online I just picked one which sounded fine to me. Resmin doesn't remember it much himself. 

He had shared a video with me when I told him about the song. 


May be this is one of my fondest memory of him from my school days and, which I guess, is the reason why it is still etched in my memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graphics

Papa, where are you going?? My little girl asks me  To attend a marriage dear. I told her It is a Sunday and she expects I will take her to the park like I promised.  I waited for an array of questions from her, and she doesn’t disappoint me.  "Are we not going to the park today?" " No dear, I have to go. We will go later." “Why aren't you taking us? Who is getting married? ” Rishin uncle is getting married  "Chathan uncle” she corrected me with enough conviction which made me feel that it was me who made the mistake. She caught hold of that name recently and since then I didn’t hear her calling him anything other than that. But she never calls him Chathan in public; they have made a pact it seems.  She started circling around me doing her tiny little steps. She doesn’t look surprised by the news; I was practically taken aback when he told me. It was late last night, he called me and declared. "I am going to get marrie

Words

Words are echoing in my mind. There is no coherent thought in it. They just jump around in an urge to get out.  Me first me first, they say. They don't realise they aren't ready to walk on their own. They have to stand behind an idea and grow. Or they are mere words without a soul. Few are bit more wiser than the rest. They group with their half brothers and create unrest, even getting heard at times. They wander aimlessly for a while, gliding along any path they see. For they don't have a destination in their mind and are lost without doubt The newbies see their brothers' fate from afar. They fear to set forth or even make a sound. They wait for someone strong to take them ashore. They wait and get old. They get choked and don't get heard. Words.

നിശബ്ദത

                        മുത്തശ്ശൻ ക്ലോക്കിൽ മണി പന്ത്രണ്ട് അടിച്ചു. മഴ പെയ്തു ഒഴിഞ്ഞിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇറ്റു വീഴുന്ന വെള്ളതുള്ളികളും ഇടയ്ക്കുള്ള ചീവീടിന്റെ ശബ്ദവും ഒഴിച്ചാൽ ചുറ്റിലും എങ്ങും നിശബ്ദത. എല്ലാവരും ഉറങ്ങി തുടങ്ങി.   ഒരാൾ മാത്രം ഉറക്കമൊഴിച്ച് കാത്തിരിപ്പുണ്ട്. പൂർണ്ണമായ നിശബ്ദതക്കു വേണ്ടി. ഇന്നത്തെ ജോലി അതീവ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ ചെയ്യേണ്ടത് ആണ്, അതിനു പരിപൂർണ്ണ നിശബ്ദത അയാള്ക്കു ആവശ്യമുണ്ടു. ശബ്ദം ഉണ്ടാക്കാതെ അയാൾ കുറച്ചു കൂടെ കാത്തിരുന്നു. പതിയെ ചീവിടുകളും ഉറക്കത്തിലായെന്നു തോന്നുന്നു.  ഒരു ശബ്ദവും കേൾക്കാനില്ല. സന്തോഷത്തോടെ അയാൾ എഴുന്നേറ്റു. തന്റെ പക്കലുള്ള ചെറിയ വെട്ടം അയാൾ തെളിയിച്ചു, ചുറ്റിലും നോക്കി. ഇല്ല അപകടം ഒന്നും ഇല്ല. കാലത്തു നോക്കി വച്ചിരുന്ന വീടിനടുത്തേക്ക് അയാൾ പതിയെ ചെന്നു. പതുങ്ങി ഇരുന്നു കുറച്ചു നേരം അയാൾ  കാതോർത്തു. ശബ്ദമൊന്നും കേൾക്കുന്നില്ല. എല്ലാവരും നല്ല ഉറക്കത്തിലാണ്. ജനവാതിൽ തുറന്നു നേരത്തെ ഇളക്കി മാറ്റിയിരുന്ന ജനൽ കമ്പികളുടെ വിടവിലൂടെ ശ്രദ്ധയോടെ അയാൾ അകത്തു കടന്നു. ഇരുണ്ട വെട്ടത്തിൽ അലമാര ഇരിക്കുന്ന സ്ഥലം ലക്ഷ്യമാക്കി പമ്മി പമ്മി അയാൾ നടന്നു. ഇനിയാണ് ശ്രദ്ധ വേണ്ടത്.